Megan Malone | SD Member Spotlight
1. What is the name of your business and can you tell us a little bit more about it?
I co-own The Akazi Project, a women-centered social enterprise! we sell handmade womens accessories to benefit our partner projects in Malawi, Africa.
2. What has been your biggest win as an entrepreneur thus far?
I'm hoooonestly a budding entrepreneur so really, I would say just taking the leap and making something with heart that I can call my own.
3. Where do you find daily motivation and inspiration?
Our work is providing improved livelihood and lifesaving care for women. That is my absolute driving factor in everything that I do.
4. What is the best piece of advice you have received and who was it from?
"Fake it til you make it, then work until no one questions your position" - The very talented Mariah Sparks, a former boss turned friend.
5. What is your morning routine?
Oh wow, okay… so I snooze probably three times (four if we’re being honest), Sonicare these pearly whites and wash my face, pour an iced coffee with vanilla coconut collagen creamer and sit on my back porch steps that opens up to a hill where I hangout with my pup Lola until I am almost late. Then I either downward dog at dawn or head to our home gym and get my pilates on. Then, I find my phone and get to work.
6. Favorite podcast?
7. Something that most people wouldn’t know about you:
I'm intensely empathetic and sensitive.
8. If you could go back to when you started your company what would you say to yourself?
Way back when (4 months ago), I would've told myself to not be afraid of "the ask". I’m working on my pitch and speaking about our cause and I have yet to perfect asking others for money to help.