Maria Spear Ollis | DT Member Spotlight
1. What is the name of your business and can you tell us a little bit more about it?
Spear IP, my law practice. I focus on copyright and trademark protection, along with making sure clients have solid contracts in place so they’re not piecing together texts, emails, and DMs to figure out what they agreed to! I serve a lot of different types of creative businesses but my practice has an emphasis on fashion, hospitality (event planners, food trucks, etc.) and the Internet (anywhere from podcasters to online influencers and marketing).
2. What has been your biggest win as an entrepreneur thus far?
I was really sweating moving from Nashville, TN (where I’d spent 8+ years working and building my network) back to Michigan. But now we’re one year post-move, and my business is stronger than ever!
3. Where do you find daily motivation and inspiration?
I am a sucker for “here’s how I built my business”-type podcasts.
4. What is the best piece of advice you have received and who was it from?
One female boss I had while in law school, during a discussion on the glass ceiling, put it best: “help each other.” In other words, help other women. Don’t be a mean girl. We can only break through that glass ceiling together!
5. What is your morning routine?
Coffee, breakfast, then a morning walk with my big dog, Aria, and my son, Johnny, while we listen to a podcast.
6. What is your favorite podcast?
Tie between “CEO Vibes” and “Mother Honestly.” Guilty pleasure: “The Rewatchables.” (If you look movies up on IMDb.com like I do, you’ll love it, too.)
7. Something that most people wouldn’t know about you:
In college, I was on an album with Sara Bareilles. #acappella #acascuseme
8. If you could go back to when you started your company what would you say to yourself?
Keep going. It’s worth it!